Affiliate links are included in this post. If you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Raise The Good!
I. Love. These. Books.
The "Who's Your Hero" series by David Bowman is probably the one of the most fun, high quality and easy ways to teach small (or big!) children how to apply the scriptures to themselves.
Fun: My kids love finding the hidden mouse on each page and the drawings are often puny, corny and kids find them hil.ar.i.ous. But these aren't just fun books- best of all, they teach my children the scriptures. I'm not talking token scripture stories that are just thrown in. These get deep. They make my children think, and anything that does THAT, gets a 10 out of 10 from me.
If this style of book looks familiar to you, that's because it probably is. Author/Artist David Bowman wrote this book about the Constitution of the United States that I've reviewed before and totally love. But this "Who's Your Hero" series is different (and dare I say, even better?).
High Quality: Oh, let me count the ways:
1. It's about the Book of Mormon. Can't go wrong there!
2. A scripture hero and something great that he/she did is the focus of each section.
3. Children learn about a good choice or character trait that this hero has. Here are a couple of examples:
4. Each story is linked with a scripture mastery verse. This is a great way to "ponderize"!
5. Each story has a modern day parallel. Helaman's Warriors respected THEIR parents...here is how you can respect YOUR parents. (This totally makes me want to fist bump the author.)
6. Each story comes with Family Home Evening lesson helps: songs, scriptures, stories from church magazines, and fun activities.
Seriously you guys, this is a no-brainer. How easy is Family Home Evening this way?!
But don't save it for FHE- my six year old is constantly carrying these books around and loving them. He giggles at the pictures and says these are some of his favorite books.
Pro Tip: The Ultimate Volumes combine a whole bunch of scripture heroes and their stories into two volumes. The heroes used to be, and sometimes still are available in smaller units separately, but the Ultimate Volumes are easier to find (and less expensive) than the separate stories.
If you are looking for a great way to spice up scripture study or are looking for some inspiring books for your kids that will be sure to capture their attention-- this is the series for you! Love them. You can check them out here. You can also find lots of other really great stuff on the author's personal website here.
Hi, I'm Jen! I adore chocolate, I'd rather read than clean my house, and I haven't seen my abs in I-don't-know-how-long. But I love my husband and kids to death and try to Raise The Good within myself and my family by making wise and uplifting media choices and having a deliberate family culture. You are probably doing the same thing. Let's share what works with each other!
Proud to be an
affiliate of these wonderful partners!
Do you have an awesome resource you want us to share with our readers? Great! Let us know here.
"We want to illuminate the sacred meaning